Healthcare and children

I know it’s been a while since I have posted anything here.  Sorry.  I will say, that after recent events we have deiced not to sell our house and move.  We are staying right here!  We have a great network of friends and neighbors that truly care.  I am not about to give that up.  So, this is what has happened…

Tuesday, my daughter started saying that she wasn’t feeling well.  She said her stomach was hurting.  Didn’t think much of it at first, probably just a little stomach bug…Nope.  Now, keep in mind that I have had medical training.  I have worked as a CNA and as an MA, had a ton of classes for many different fields.  Plus, last year, I spent a week in the hospital for an appendectomy.

Well, I checked my daughters temperature and noticed that she had a slight fever.  I asked her where the pain was, then I had her lay on the bed and I checked.  Guess what?  Appendicitis.  We hobbled down to the Red Cross, which is very close to our house and got an ambulance to the emergency clinic.  (We don’t own a vehicle.)  The doctor checked her out and then sent us to Heredia to the hospital.  It was an extremely long wait down there.  They may not be very quick, but they are very good at what they do.  I got a hold of my daughters test results and read them first before giving them to the doctor.  They were almost identical to mine last year.  We saw the doctor and he was saying that he didn’t think it was an appendicitis.  I raised some Hell with him and told him that a year ago mine was the same way.  Then we waited some more, and waited some more.  My daughter’s pain was getting worse, so I went up to the desk and started raising some Hell.  Was actually a little worried that they might kick me out.  We waited some more.  Finally there was a cleaning lady.  She asked me what was going on and I told her.  She went and got the pediatrician that was on duty.  He walked us to the back and got us a doctor right then and there!  Here I am, trying to speak to this doctor in Spanish and my brain is turning to mush at this point, I had been awake for more than 24 hours.  Everyone stopped and stared at me, you could have heard a pin drop.  Then a wonderful woman doctor came out that spoke great English for me.  She was so nice to us.  I was about ready to cry on her.  From there, they went ahead and started getting her ready for surgery.  It was still a long wait.  They have only a few operating rooms there and several people having surgery and three of the other people with appendicitis’.  It was about 5 in the afternoon when she finally went into surgery.  So, it was about 16 hours after we got there that she finally went into the OR.

Now, we live about 2 hours from the hospital.  I wasn’t about to come all the way back home.  Luckily I have a very good friend of mine that lives in the same town as the hospital.  I was able to stay with her and she took me back in the morning.  God bless her and her family.

When I got to the hospital, you have to get a security pass first before you can go up and visit anyone.  I actually like this idea.  They had her in the recovery room because there wasn’t room anywhere else.  I had to put scrubs on over my clothes, which is funny because I was wearing scrubs, but they had to be perfectly clean.  I was so happy to see my baby that I did cry.  She was smiling which made me feel good.  She told me that she had wonderful nurses and a few spoke English.  She doesn’t know any Spanish, just a few words.  Then I got great news, she was coming home that day!  Her appendix did not rupture and she had the surgery done laparoscopy.  I was so relieved.  I called my husband and let him know.  Then I had to call another friend to come and get us.

Now, my daughter is not on the insurance yet.  Her residency is still pending.  We went to the cashier to find out how much we were going to have to pay.  I was thinking I will just make payment arrangements.  But I knew the total bill wouldn’t be near as much as it is in the States.  I was thinking a couple of thousand dollars.  The most amazing thing happened.  The lady looked at me and said, since she is a minor there is no charge.  I about fell over and almost started crying again.  She smiled really big at me and I asked her again just to make sure.  She said, “She is under 18 and a minor, there is no charge.”  After that, we were on our way home.

We got home this Thursday and last night we had a problem.  She started having more pain and spiked a fever.  So, I walked quickly to the Red Cross, I can’t run, and got another ambulance.  They picked her up and away we went to the emergency clinic…again.  They immediately took her back.  They checked her out, did some blood work, got her on some strong antibiotics, gave her something for the pain, and back home we went.  We were only there for about two hours.   For pain medication at home, they gave her 500 mg of acetaminophen.  They do NOT prescribe narcotic pain medication.  I like that as well.  Keeps people from becoming addicted, blocks illegal sell of it, and it does cut back on crime.  But again, no charge.

Today she is doing great!  She is up and moving around.  The fever is gone, and the pain is a lot less.  It’s been a long week, glad it’s over.  So, today I am baking a homemade pecan pie, even the crust is homemade.  I love this country!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s